1803.058: Circular Letter of the Washington Academy (March 1803).
Full Title: Washington Academy, 9th March, 1803. Sir, You have no doubt been informed that the Cincinati [sic] Society ... formed a resolution for devoting their funds to the use of Washington Academy … S. Blackburn and G.A. Baxter.
Author: Washington Academy.
Place Issued: Lexington
Issuing Press: Samuel Walkup
Description: 1 sheet [1 pg.]; 25 cm. x 20 cm. (broadside).
Letter informs the members of the Society of the Cincinnati of Virginia of the disposition of their September 1802 gift to the Academy (see 1802.029); Blackburn was the chair of the school's board, while Baxter was the academy's rector; founded in 1776 as the Liberty Hall Academy, the school was renamed the Washington Academy after a substantial donation in 1796 by George Washington; the school continues today as Washington & Lee University. Only recorded copy is held in the manuscript collection of the Virginia Historical Society. Sheet lacks colophon; for the duration of his printing career in Lexington (1802-10), Samuel Walkup was the printer for the Washington Academy and its founding patron, the Presbytery of Lexington, so the attribution here.
There is 1 person associated with this imprint record: