Winchester 02-07: The Centinel and Winchester Gazette
Starting Date: June 7, 1808
Ending Date: before February 18, 1809
Publication Frequency: Weekly
Proprietors: William Heiskell & Bowen's heirs
Bowen died on June 1, 1808, and so with the issue of June 7th, Heiskell, his shop foreman, assumed control of the newspaper for the equal benefit of himself and Bowen's heirs; this arrangement continued until Heiskell bought the entire business from his master's estate sometime before the issue of February 18, 1809, the first bearing his name as the weekly's sole proprietor; sometime after the issue of September 29, 1807, the title ornament "The Centinel" was added to the masthead, creating the title reported here.
There are 2 people associated with The Centinel and Winchester Gazette: