1780.012: Circular Letter concerning Col. Richard Morris.
Full Title: In Council (Richmond) Nov. 14, 1780: Gentlemen, The General Assembly on their meeting, having found it necessary to authorize the Executive to take measures for laying up a store of beef for the subsistence of the army and militia: we have appointed Col. Richard Morris to superintend and direct this very important operation ...
Author: Jefferson, Thomas (1743-1826), governor.
Place Issued: Richmond
Issuing Press: Dixon & Nicolson
Description: 1 sheet [1 pg.]; 33 cm. x 20 cm. (broadside).
Announcing the appointment of Col. Richard Morris to execute terms of "An act to revive and amend the act entitled An act for procuring a supply of provisions and other necessaries for the use of the army" (Chap. V of Acts of October 1780 in Hening's Statutes [X: 344-346]), and ordering compliance with his marshaling efforts, signed "Th. Jefferson." Imprint lacks colophon. The Virginia government relocated to Richmond from Williamsburg in early 1780. The press of John Dixon and Thomas Nicolson moved there as well; however, the press of John Clarkson and Augustine Davis remained in Williamsburg, unable to finance such a move. So the firm of Dixon & Hunter became de facto printer to the Commonwealth, without the title, as they were the only printing office in Richmond in 1780.
There are 2 people associated with this imprint record: