1780.007: Commission for Military Supply Procurement.
Full Title: To [blank]: Gentlemen, You are hereby appointed Commissioners for the purpose of carrying into execution in the county of [blank] the act of the present session of assembly [May 1780], for procuring a supply of provisions, and other necessaries for the use of the army. …
Author: Jefferson, Thomas (1743-1826), governor.
Place Issued: Richmond
Issuing Press: Dixon & Nicolson
Description: 1 sheet [1 pg.]; 23 cm. x 21 cm. (broadside).
Jefferson exercising an authority granted by "An act for procuring a supply of provisions and other necessaries for the use of the army," reprinted in Hening's Statutes as Chap. VIII of Acts of May 1780 (X: 233-237). The completed blanks in surviving copy name "the Commissioners of the money tax" in Albemarle County (previously appointed by Patrick Henry under acts of October 1777, May 1778, and May 1779) as agents to procure such supplies in that county; signed: "Th. Jefferson, in Council June 26, 1780." The government of Virginia relocated to Richmond from Williamsburg in early 1780. The press of John Dixon and Thomas Nicolson moved there as well; however, the press of John Clarkson and Augustine Davis remained in Williamsburg unable to finance such a move. Thus the firm of Dixon & Hunter became the de facto printer to the Commonwealth, without the title, as they were the only printing office in Richmond in 1780.
There are 2 people associated with this imprint record: